The studs provide a better grip in slippery cunditions, such as ice, wet grass, mud and snow.
Materiel needed for installation :
- Stud applicator (here)
- Drilling machine
- 4 mm drill
- Mark the points where you want to place the studs. You can follow the pattern shown on the photos below, Fig1. for "Sport" and Fig2. for "Endurance"
- Pre-drill 3 mm holes on the marked points with a 4 or 4.5 mm drill bit.
- Lock the stud applicator into position on the drilling machine. Position the end of the stud tread over the drilled hole and slowly drill the stud into the hole.
- Before installing the studs, make sure that the boots are the approriate size and that the horse is used to wear them.
- Install the studs always symmetrically for a correct balance.
- While drilling, make sure that the stud does not perforate the sole completely and passes to the inside of the sole. This can happen on older boots with worn soles.
- Always use your best judgement when going to ride in slippery conditions. The studs provide extra grip, but they have their limits !
- Remove the studs when they are not neccessairy. You can keep and reinstall them when you need them.